Saturday, September 3, 2016

Day 284- Jan. 2- Sherry Kerr and her boys, Rob, Jack, Liam and Charlie


My friendship with Sherry started in 1998, as she moved to Ottawa to start her career and I moved to the city for University. The story really begins with her husband, Rob, however.

Rob and I met on a prayer walk around the Ottawa U campus one Thursday night. I think I met Sherry that night too, but there were so many new faces that nothing stood out in my memory. Rob and I chatted a lot and he offered to give me a lift back to the university after young adults events since he knew transit was slow and he didn't want me to be on the buses with creepy folks so often.




Within a few weeks, we started to get to know Sherry and I could see some chemistry between the two of them. Rob continued to be the ultimate gentleman, and began offering to give Sherry a lift home too. Each time he'd drive all the way downtown to drop me, then back out to the west end to drop Sherry and then to the south where he lived. They were a cute couple, even if Sherry resisted to admit it at first.

 
Sherry and I began great friends. We shared apartments, went on road trips, shopped, hosted house parties, made amazing dinners and always seemed to be surrounded by amazing friends. Her family adopted me as one of their own and made me feel welcome whenever we had the chance to meet up.

The year after I left Ottawa for the north I received news that Sherry and Rob had finally admitted their connection and got engaged. I had the honour of standing up for them in their wedding.

Since that time, we don't have a lot of time together now, but anytime I am close to Ottawa or in Montreal, Sherry goes out of her way to either come see me or come get me and bring me back to her home for a visit with her and her boys.

I have really enjoyed watching the boys grow up. Jack was born first, he's technical, precise and thinks things through very systematically like his dad. He has a quirky sense of humour that I love and works hard to be precise.





Liam was the second to come along. He's a mix of tough and sensitive, he loves to prank and make people laugh, to take risks and has the most animated facial expressions. He is a bit stubborn, like his mom all the way.









Charlie was their third and was born a couple days before my visit one year. I don't remember what year it was but I remember messaging Sherry to ask whether she was really ready to have a visit from not just me, but also my friend Nancy, so soon after delivering Charlie. She said she absolutely wanted us to come and stay like every other year. Nancy loved cuddling Charlie and singing him songs in Inuktitut during nap time. He is a nice mix of both his brothers temperaments. He is sweet and sensitive like Liam, but also loves to tell stories about how things work like Jack.


I am fortunate to have friends like Sherry and her boys. They make it feel like time stand still and despite the geographical distance that separates us and infrequency of my visits, they welcome me with hugs and open arms.

I cherish my connection with Sherry even though we are so different- she is very fashionable and fancy, and I am simple and prize comfort. I despite that I know we will be lifelong friends. 










Song of the Moment: 
Take Me Up by Coleman Hell

No comments: