Saturday, September 3, 2016

Day 286- Jan. 4- Rio Diaz, Siasi and Shayla

I met this fine family by chance. I was in Kuujjuaraapik for work and was in major need of coffee one noon time. I had been told by my friend Eva that her sister's family had a corner store near the school, so I messaged her to ask how to find it and if she thought they'd be opened that lunch hour. She responded right away (thank god for cell phones and instant notifications), and gave me directions. As Elise and I entered the store, Rio popped out from the back and said, "Let me guess, Gillian?" Eva had messaged him that we were coming. He hooked us up with cappuchinos and chocolate and when we tried to pay, he insisted it was on the house this time since we were friends of Eva's.

When I came south for meetings the end of June, I met the rest of his adorable family. Shayla warmed up to me instantly and we became swimming buddies and Super Tock enemies. I love her enthusiasm and helpfulness. She loves swimming and sings a long to many songs, having memorized many lyrics from her road trips with Eva. 

Siasi is very welcoming and generous! She invited me over for pool parties and many meals in the short amount of time I spent in Montreal. She is a good person, very kind and soft spoken.

I enjoyed meeting them and spending time playing games, tanning on the hot evenings after the meetings and spending time with the kiddos poolside. This blog is all about the old friends, and new friends like this family, who I value in my life.

Song of the Moment: Trouble by Cage the Elephant

No comments: