Saturday, September 3, 2016

Day 285- Jan. 3- Ronnie Annanack

Ronnie Annanack is studying in the French secondary sector right now. I never taught him before but a few years ago, he joined the snowshoe team while I was still coaching. He's a rather shy guy and rarely said many words, but he was a strong runner. He liked to answer questions with opposite answers and laughed a lot when you'd get frustrated and needed a straight up response. He likes to tease!












During the tryouts for the Arctic Winter Games, I was the chaperone for the GR athletes. He made me laugh many times during the very long tiring weekend, as bad weather in Quaqtaq grounded our team in Kuujjuaq for an extra 2-3 nights. Honestly I barely remember much other than having 20 something kids, and the two other chaperones were 19 and 20 year old former students. We stayed in the Youth Centre, and had to schedule walks up to the arena to get showers, so that the stench of pre-pubesence could be washed away before the YC smelled too horribly. There were many instructions that I had to pass on to the kids from the event organizers and I'm sure they were just as tired of hearing me remind everyone to put their garbage away or to take off their outside shoes or to be back on time for curfew, as I was tired of hearing myself say it.

Ronnie had the funniest reaction, when ever I would ask him a question he'd just say, "blah blah blah". Most people would get pissed, but his comedic timing and the intonation he chose made me lighten up and laugh every time. I started to greet him with a blah blah blah, and it still sticks with us today.

I was shopping on oldnavy.com last year and even found a hat that said, "Blah blah blah" on it. and had to get it for him after a very long AWG tryouts trip. Ronnie is another example of the funny kids I know.

Song of the Moment: Encore by Red Hot Chili Peppers

No comments: